Maintaining Your Deck for Years of Enjoyment!
Now that Spring is here, you want to get outside and enjoy the nice weather.
Maintaining Your Deck each season will help it last for years of enjoyment!
One thing you will want to do, is check your deck for damage caused by winter weather.
This can easily be done with both a visual inspection and using a sharp object like knife or screwdriver. Press the tool into the wood where it appears to be some damage. If the tools sinks in easily you have an issue that needs further attention by replacing the bad piece of decking .
After repairing any potential damage, you need to seal your deck from further damage.
Wood decks that are left untreated will be more susceptible to splitting, rotting, insects and mold build-up.
If you still have questions. Hop over to our Facebook Group We’re there to help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/homediyfixes
Mildew Removal Solution for Wood Decks
- Pour 3 cups of water into a large bowl.
- Put on a pair of rubber gloves to protect your skin from the solution.
- Add a cup of oxygen bleach and 3 squirts of liquid soap to the water. Stir the mixture until it is well combined.
- Use a funnel to pour the solution into a clean, empty spray bottle. Be sure to label the bottle with a marker.
- Spray the solution onto the mildew spots on your deck and allow it to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the area with water and repeat the process if necessary. For stubborn areas, use a small cleaning brush to scrub the mildew off of the deck.
Apply a Protective Sealant
Applying a sealant to your deck will rejuvenate the boards and protect them from any further damage. Visit your local hardware store and speak with a professional about your plans to protect your deck. Read the instructions provided by the manufacturer of your selected sealant before you begin the application process. Also, be sure to check the weather forecast and choose a day for applying your sealant when precipitation or moisture in the air will not be a problem. Then, follow these steps:
- Clear your deck of any debris or furniture. This means sweeping and cleaning off any accumulated dirt. Skipping this step will only result in sealing the dirt onto the wood.
- Block off the entrance to the deck to prevent small children and pets from coming into contact with the sealant.
- Pour the sealant into a paint roller tray.
- Use a roller attached to a long handle to apply the sealant in long strokes along the length of the boards. Start in the area the furthest away from the entrance to the deck so you don’t paint yourself into a corner.
- Move backward toward the entrance until the entire space is covered.
- Allow enough time for the sealant to dry completely before returning any furniture to the deck and making the space accessible.
You will enjoy many years on your deck by keeping it properly maintained! For more great info check out the full article at Doityourself.com