Maintaining your gas water heater is a simple process that can prevent a disaster from occurring. Whether you have a tank or tankless model here are some things you need to do on a regular basis.
- Check the unit for any water seepage around the tank and piping.
- Operate the pressure relief valve to check that it is working properly.
- Flush the unit to remove any sediment that may have accumulated.
- Check the flame on the burn to see if it is burning properly. You should see a blue flame, if the flame is orange it is not burning properly and needs attention.
- Check that the vent piping is properly attached so the fumes exit the building.
In the video below, you will find some guidance to keep things working well.